Saturday, June 22, 2024

Our Final Good-bye

 June 17, 2024

The focal point of this trip was for us to drive to New Hampshire, meet my brother-in-law and a sister at  Mount Washington to scatter my sister Kathy's ashes co-mingled with her daughter's . . . our final good-bye to them.  Kathy faced serious medical issues from the day she was born as a preemie until she lost her final battle with cancer.  She was strong, undaunted, and fought long and hard with her disease.  She was caring and a terrific auntie to my children.  She rescued more dogs than I can count.  She was optimistic and an adventurer.  In fact, her last adventure was a trip to Hawaii where she rode an ultralight and soared above the earth.

A small contingent of family and friends made the pilgrimage to the summit by riding the Cog Railway.  We found a somewhat sheltered spot, and then Brian and I and my sister Patty set her free on the winds of Mount Washington.  Everyone in the group met back at the summit sign before boarding the railway car that took us back down to the base station.


Mount Washington Hotel, the cog railway tracks going up the middle, and Mount Washington summit
in the upper right 

Kathy's husband Rob, his sister Susan, my sister Patty



Throughout this trip, I am constantly thinking about loved ones who are gone and my own mortality.  We are revisiting some of our favorite places knowing that we will likely not see them again.  I have learned to adapt to my own limitations and be grateful for every day and experience God has given me.



Kathryn Marie Carrow Kouts, you will live forever in our hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment