Sunday, June 10, 2018

Not Alaska - part 2

Week one is done!

Brian again, first person this time. I am putting updates here on the blog so it will be there when I am finished with the treatment, and so it isn't 'out there' on Facebook for everyone else to see. I think this extra step is a way to avoid a pity party.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments, support, and prayers after last week's post. I hope you continue reading the blog when I'm well, and we are back on the road.

I want to tell you all that my spirits are high. I am very much aware that many of you, and your loved ones have gone through much worse than I am going through now. It is a very good feeling to know that so many people have my back.

It is hard to put into words, though, how I feel about my condition. Cancer is just a scary word. When you hear it, you think the worst. From what I've heard and read, this one is very curable, and I am not really concerned about the outcome. Last time I said that I was probably more bummed that we are stuck in Houston during the hot months, and that feeling is stronger each day the temperature nears or exceeds 100. It is what it is.
Me and my very own mask!

I started treatments on Tuesday, and the first one didn't start out well. There was a scheduling mix up because of a power outage, so I had to wait an extra hour to start. I almost lost my temper when they told me they tried to call me to tell me. I didn't recognize the phone numbers, so I thought they were solicitations, so I ignored them. When they first tried to explain to me the situation, I thought that I wasn't going to start that day, so I just walked away and fumed. When I got it together, I went back and they said I could do it then. I still don't know why they didn't tell me it would be an hour wait when I got there at the appointment time. The treatment took longer than I expected it to because they had to get the doctor to make sure it was aligned properly (a good thing!), but they didn't tell me that when they started. With that stupid mask on for only the second time, it seemed a lot longer than it really was, I'm sure.

The next three treatments took a lot less time. I set my stopwatch when I took my glasses off and checked the time when I put them back on after the treatment, and it was only 4 ½ minutes. I sure am glad I'm not having to drive into Houston to get it done. That is another thing that I am grateful for.

Like someone said on Facebook, Alaska will still be there. I will still be here, too, so we can just make plans for the trip in two years. It will be too late to go that far this year, and next year I have a family reunion in Pennsylvania, so we have a lot of time to dream and make plans.


Thank you again for your support and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment